Thursday, September 27, 2012

#5: Webtext Analysis

*First, I was unable to open the "Credit Unions" webtext, every time I tried it gave me an error from BlueHost that the page could not be found*

Both of the webtexts that were provided here are interesting in their own merits, and I think both deliveries are unique. The Dove text is a bit more of a traditional affair, moving along similar to a website, albeit a very simplified one. I do like the picture links to different pages of the text and how the menu bar on the bottom changed so that the pages wrapped in the menu, so the next choice was always the next page in the text, I thought that was a very helpful and cool choice. The delivery on that text was rather minimalistic, and while it worked fine, as the commercials it was looking at were also on the minimalistic side, I feel that there probably could've been at least a little more detail put in somewhere.

The webcomic webtext is a bit of a different affair. I really love the concept here, since webcomics are something that I really enjoy, but I feel like they really squandered all the possibilities of a comic analysis. Instead of any kind of interesting interaction with the elements provided or anything of that sort, every panel just had the same character in near the exact same pose using all-to-big of a talk bubble the whole time. In my opinion, if your talk bubble takes up more than half of the panel, it's WAY too big, and this is the case the whole time in this text. The information is fine, I just can't help but feel they really wasted all the potential for the webtext they tried to use.

As for my plans for this project, I'll be opting for something sort of similar to the Dove text, though a bit more interesting, I daresay. I plan to make something of an infographic on my analysis, with a single webpage that will be kind of like a poster depicting the more bare-bones essentials of my analysis. On the page there will be parts you can click on, which will either bring the user to a new page, or, time and experience willing, will bring up a popup window that fades in, probably using javascript or some other web magics. It'll be in a slightly cartoony, hand-drawn style, so it should be for sure visually appealing and definitely should be an interesting text to go through.

No comments:

Post a Comment